Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Student Loans



Has anyone out there ever applied for educational funding? I feel like I'm the last person on earth to realize that you can actually GET THE GOVERNMENT TO PAY for a large chunk of university fees! I feel really really annoyed right now that I never bothered to look into this as an undergrad. Grrrrr.... hopefully by eschewing the loan world until now I will have a better chance of being granted enough money to eat while I'm at school in Sydney. I guess there is a bright side of not being approved; achieving my ideal surfer girl weight will be that much easier if I can't actually afford food. 
So, to acquaint myself of all things Aussie, I've been reading Australian travel books (see sidebar) and revisiting my photographs from when I was there in 2005. This particular photo reminded me of the myriad complexities of what one might expect to be an ordinary straight-forward venture - ordering a coffee. In any regular Tim Horton's type coffee shop, conveying one's order requires careful attention to a certain vocabulary. This puzzled me and it often resulted in the level of confusion and bewilderment among us tourists that I am used to seeing in novice Starbucks patrons. In contrast though, it wasn't pretentious, or unique to one chain of shops... to me it was just... peculiar...
 I must quote Bill Bryson on this as I couldn't say it better myself:

"....It appeared you had to specify a length (principally long or short), a color (black or white), and even an angle of orientation to the perpendicular (flat or not), and these could be put together in a multitude of permutations- "long black, "short black," even 
"long short black.""

This, I can assure you is not an exaggeration in the slightest. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jess,

    Yes I did apply for several scholarships before coming to Australia and doing my third Masters degree.

    It is very annoying and lots of work initially, but once you have done it then you can reuse all the documents for as many scholarships as you can find for your area.

    Let me know if I can help you with this.

    LOL, agree with the coffee order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...is this a coffee order or a lady's trip to a male brothel?

    The long, short black sounds especially intriguing. Well endowed African American midget perhaps?

    ReplyDelete