Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Cinema in the Park: Breakfast at Tiffany's!


Is anyone else one of those people who, when discussing movies is always hearing "oh my goodness, you haven't seen 'X ' ?!?!" (insert classic film everyone has seen). Well as someone who just saw Dirty Dancing and Pretty Woman for the first time last year, I can safely say that I am definitely one of those people. In light of this you can imagine my delight when Nick's Mom and sister invited me to their local town Breast Cancer benefit- an outdoor screening of Breakfast at Tiffany's. Not only was I excited about getting to enjoy their lovely company, and contribute to a very worthy cause, but I got to cross another classic film off my list!
The setting for the evening was a little grassy parkette at the end of the road from the house (a very convenient location!) In terms of the screen, I wasn't sure what to expect, but as a point of reference, after the home-theatre sized screens at the local Newtown cinema in Sydney, something similar in size would not have surprised me; however, lo and behold, the screen was HUGE! The sound and picture quality was excellent and made for a very enjoyable "movie in the park" experience.
Nick's mom and sister were very organized and prepared with picnic mats, pillows, throw blankets and lawn chairs and even a backpack picnic basket with compartments for the plates, cups, cutlery etc.!
After setting up we settled down to scoff our yummy picnic of barbecued chicken, bread rolls, veggies n dip and cookies and brownies for dessert.
After dining at our very civilized and lady like picnic (complete with cups of tea with dessert) we settled in to watch the film. It was most enjoyable! One of those movies where I wonder what took me so long to get around to watching it! Audrey Hepburn was utterly fantastic as the main character and I found the movie very funny and entertaining to watch. What I really liked about it though was how layered the film was with symbolism and poignant lines. One of our favourites was when Holly is referred to as "a phony, but a real phony." Such great script writing! I guess that's why some people say things like "they don't make 'em like they used to..." Well I don't know if I'd necessarily agree with that being a universally negative thing (after all I love a good Jen Aniston chick-flick once in a while,) but I can see what they're saying.
All in all a great evening. The only sad part, (besides having to quash the urge to high tail it to Tiffany's myself) was watching the film made me miss my youngest sister Sophie, who often dresses up as Audrey Hepburn for Halloween and I think, bares a striking resemblance!!






No comments:

Post a Comment