Tuesday, January 27, 2009

See You on the Flip Side...

I can't believe the day has finally arrived! In a few short hours I will be boarding a flight to Sydney Australia. While most loose ends have been tied up (most recently, finding a place to stay- thanks James!) I am still in the throes of packing. I started packing four weeks ago. Yes FOUR weeks ago, and I'm still somehow not finished. Granted I was asked to empty my room which, for a pack-rat like me was no small task, but still, with every van-load of stuff I've carted away, I seem to come back to more stuff in its place. It's like some law-of-physics defying cosmic joke. I literally cannot seem to clear out my stuff. 
During the mass clear-out I cleaned out the basement storage room. From it I either gave or threw away almost every toy, stuffed animal, doll, book, magazine, craft, art supply or board game I ever owned! I swear, the Apocalypse could have arrived and any kid trapped in my house wouldn't have wanted for something to do for at least a year.

A little dusty perhaps. Thank goodness Toronto has given each house a huge recycling bin!

I also have a lot of elementary school work and all of my high school and university notes, just in case I ever wish to read my Grade 2 journals (possibly) or re-learn Grade 11 Chemistry (not likely). Sorting through all of that will be a project for next time. 
Right now I'm still trying to come to terms with having to part with almost half my wardrobe and most of my winter clothing. I know it's irrational and I can't quite figure this out but I am feeling nervous at the thought of  going anywhere without my full set of thermal underwear and a snowsuit. How quickly and easily I've forgotten what warm air feels like. I can even comfortably wear my jacket in the house it's that cold here right now. I'm now going to go take the fleece socks out of my suitcase. And maybe the fuzzy sweaters. But maybe not. 


The basement storage space. Requires some contortionist moves to get in and out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment